Michigan cannabis advertising regulations you need to know
So, before you decide to launch a campaign without any research, make sure to get yourself acquainted with the do’s and don’ts of cannabis advertising in Michigan. Fortunately, MPP has done the heavy lifting for you. In this article, we’ll break down what you need to know about cannabis advertising and share resources to check out for any lingering questions you may have. Remember that cannabis products are still not legal at a federal level, so these regulations are specific to the state of Michigan.
Who regulates the Michigan cannabis industry?
Basic Michigan cannabis advertising laws
- Advertisements cannot market a cannabis product in a way that is deceptive, false, or misleading, or make any false or misleading assertions or statements.
- You cannot claim health benefits of a product unless a qualified health claim has received and complies with a Letter of Enforcement Discretion issued by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), or the health claim has been approved under the significant scientific agreement standard by the FDA.
- Products must not be marketed or advertised to minors aged 17 years or younger, and most products must be marketed to those 21 and older. No elements in the ad can appeal to children.
- Advertisements must be run on platforms or printed where no more than 30% of the audience is reasonably expected to be under the age of 21.
- Language, terminology, and photos used in ads need to be approved. For example, you cannot use images of marijuana or products.
- You cannot advertise pricing, promotional offers, or potency.
Where can cannabis be advertised?
Geofencing tactics can be used to target adults near locations that might be relevant to their campaign.
Where can’t cannabis be advertised?
Stay on top of Michigan cannabis advertising regulations
That’s why it’s so important to work with a trusted partner who knows the ins and outs of cannabis advertising. Venturing out on your own could mean banned ad accounts and penalties from the state. MPP’s marketing team helps ensure that you’re putting advertising dollars into campaigns that are seen and keep you out of hot water.